Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes[_3_] Rick Hughes[_3_] is offline

Default Towing vehicle with a rope

"Jim S" wrote in message
I asked this question in another group and no-one came up with a definitive
current answer. The most recent legal(ish) answer was dated 2008

" I was informed last evening that it is illegal to tow a broken down
vehicle with a rope and it has to be a solid tow-bar. Is this true?"

--

There is no problem with towing a broken down car with a rope that is
suitable for the purpose.

This is different to commercial towing that may well require solid tow bars.

Be warned that if you offer to Tow someone they could end up damaging your
car, and you 'may' not be covered for this.
My Father towed my sister, he stopped at junction ... she forgot that brake
servos don't operate and piled into back of his car ... he wasn't very
happy.