Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
[email protected] BobF@somewhere.com is offline

Default Attaching drawer fronts the easy fast way

On Sat, 21 May 2011 11:48:00 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

For years I have been putting screws in from the inside of the drawer
and letting their points make impressions on the back side of the false
drawer front that was to be attached. Often it was difficult to see the
impressions and if any thing slipped you started over. Then drill holes
for the pulls and attach.

I new there had to be a better way. There is and it all boils down to
the order I do thingd now. NOW I determine the location of the pulls
and predrill for their screws in the outer false drawer front.
Next I shim the false drawer front to the location I want it to be and
attach the false front to the drawer with screws through the predrilled
drawer pull holes. Open the drawer and place the 4 inside screws that
will be the permanent fasteners for the false drawer front. Remove the
drawer pull screws and finish drilling those holes completely through
and attach your pulls.

Check the attached first try results.

I've almost always done it that way, especially for over-lapping drawer fronts
on metal slides, because of the difficulty of knowing where things will end up
and the "invisibility" behind the over sized front.. You can also do that with
some types of doors on cabinets.

For flush drawers like the ones you show, but without extra fronts, I measure
out a larger front panel and sand it to fit. The idea there is to build it
carefully! I made some little jigs to compensate for the difference between the
drawer front bottom and the side bottom for example, and set the slide blocks
accordingly. Sometimes I use a temporary front as if I had a false front and do
my fitting first, and cut out the real front later and remove the temp one. This
is for non-metal sliders.

My next project uses very fancy silent auto close hidden slides from Hettich,
(Quadro, customer ordered). The drawers will be flush, and everything has to be
precision built... the drawer length and bottom offset and side thickness and
location are all critical to fit on the slide. You place the drawer on the
slides, push it home and it locks in on fancy adjusters. It can be adjusted up
and down a bit but not sideways. The drawer has to lock into 4 things on the
slides.

I'll post some pics as I go along.

Oh by the way - nice job you did!