Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Slicing a big (12.5" diameter) "rod" of metal

On 7 Oct 2011 03:41:50 GMT, the renowned "DoN. Nichols"

On 2011-10-06, Winston wrote:
The incomparable Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
fired this volley in news:j6lau705t6
@news3.newsguy.com:

The price is right but I'm concerned about the amount of
'cleanup' necessary to make the ends of your discs parallel.

That's just a "little" lathe work...G

It's a 'perspective' thing.

Each workpiece weighs about 11.6 x as much as
my lathe, so I have a different point of view.

I thought that the weight specified way back thread was the
overall weight of the raw stock prior to cutting into the slices.

Looks like about 29.4 lbs per inch of length, or 139 lbs per 4"
slice -- so that may have indeed been the weight of the workpiece.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Right, about 135 lbs per 4", which is only about 4x as much as a
Sherline weighs. ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany