Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Morgans Morgans is offline

Default Maple and Purple Heart Bowl - P1240065.jpg (0/1)

"Ray" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 15:54:44 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

?
"Ray" wrote in message
. ..
I am fairly new to wood turning. Here is a picture of a segmented
bowl still on the lathe. I am having a problem with the purple heart
tearing out on the trailing edge. It only happens on the inside of
the bowl. It is not a major defect but would be interested in a way
of preventing it.

Step by step pictures of how it was done can be seen at:

ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ray80538/SegmentedBowl/segbowl.html

Link cannot be made to work as is for me.

Interesting bowl. I'd like to see a couple of more views. The glue up
looks
well done.

Sorry I left the http:// off. no www

http://ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ra...l/segbowl.html

It appears to me that you need to have much better precision in fitting up
the segments at the corners. The wood is tearing out because there is
nothing backing it up except space. If there was no space, no tear. Also,
it looks like it may be possible that the tools you are using are not as
sharp as they could be, and perhaps do not have enough angle, relief angle,
that is.

I could be all wrong. It is what it looks like from the pictures, to me.
--
Jim in NC