Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Maple and Purple Heart Bowl - P1240065.jpg (0/1)

?
"Ray" wrote in message
I am fairly new to wood turning. Here is a picture of a segmented
bowl still on the lathe. I am having a problem with the purple heart
tearing out on the trailing edge. It only happens on the inside of
the bowl. It is not a major defect but would be interested in a way
of preventing it.

Step by step pictures of how it was done can be seen at:

ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ray80538/SegmentedBowl/segbowl.html

Link cannot be made to work as is for me.

Interesting bowl. I'd like to see a couple of more views. The glue up looks
well done.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 15:54:44 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

?
"Ray" wrote in message
.. .
I am fairly new to wood turning. Here is a picture of a segmented
bowl still on the lathe. I am having a problem with the purple heart
tearing out on the trailing edge. It only happens on the inside of
the bowl. It is not a major defect but would be interested in a way
of preventing it.

Step by step pictures of how it was done can be seen at:

ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ray80538/SegmentedBowl/segbowl.html

Link cannot be made to work as is for me.

Interesting bowl. I'd like to see a couple of more views. The glue up looks
well done.

Sorry I left the http:// off. no www

http://ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ra...l/segbowl.html
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Ray" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 15:54:44 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

?
"Ray" wrote in message
. ..
I am fairly new to wood turning. Here is a picture of a segmented
bowl still on the lathe. I am having a problem with the purple heart
tearing out on the trailing edge. It only happens on the inside of
the bowl. It is not a major defect but would be interested in a way
of preventing it.

Step by step pictures of how it was done can be seen at:

ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ray80538/SegmentedBowl/segbowl.html

Link cannot be made to work as is for me.

Interesting bowl. I'd like to see a couple of more views. The glue up
looks
well done.

Sorry I left the http:// off. no www

http://ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ra...l/segbowl.html

It appears to me that you need to have much better precision in fitting up
the segments at the corners. The wood is tearing out because there is
nothing backing it up except space. If there was no space, no tear. Also,
it looks like it may be possible that the tools you are using are not as
sharp as they could be, and perhaps do not have enough angle, relief angle,
that is.

I could be all wrong. It is what it looks like from the pictures, to me.
--
Jim in NC

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

?
"Ray" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 15:54:44 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

?
"Ray" wrote in message
. ..
I am fairly new to wood turning. Here is a picture of a segmented
bowl still on the lathe. I am having a problem with the purple heart
tearing out on the trailing edge. It only happens on the inside of
the bowl. It is not a major defect but would be interested in a way
of preventing it.

Step by step pictures of how it was done can be seen at:

ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ray80538/SegmentedBowl/segbowl.html

Link cannot be made to work as is for me.

Interesting bowl. I'd like to see a couple of more views. The glue up
looks
well done.

Sorry I left the http:// off. no www

http://ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ra...l/segbowl.html

Impressive. The posted photo does not allow you to see the true size. This
is much better.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I am fairly new to wood turning. Here is a picture of a segmented
bowl still on the lathe. I am having a problem with the purple heart
tearing out on the trailing edge. It only happens on the inside of
the bowl. It is not a major defect but would be interested in a way
of preventing it. Ray

http://ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ra...l/segbowl.html

Very nice bowl. I've been planning to try making a scrollsaw bowl for
a few months but have not gotten to it yet. The link and photos are
much better than just the one photo posted. Way more to see and
understand. This was inspiring and insightful. Good thing I have a
lathe too. Keep up the great work.
`Casper

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 19:47:37 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

?
"Ray" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the reply. The joints on the purple heart are tight. What
is showing in the picture is maple sawdust in the shallow tearout of
the purple heart. When I blow it out I will be the only one who will
see it, so it is not a major problem. The maple is not tearing, only
the purple heart when the tool is rising from parallel with the grain.
For your suggestion I will try honing the tools before making the
final cut. I would think more relief angle would let the tool slide
in more easily and tear the grain? How does one determine the optimum
turning speed to maximize the finish? I am a novice to turning so
help would be appreciated.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Ray" wrote

Thanks for the reply. The joints on the purple heart are tight. What
is showing in the picture is maple sawdust in the shallow tearout of
the purple heart. When I blow it out I will be the only one who will
see it, so it is not a major problem. The maple is not tearing, only
the purple heart when the tool is rising from parallel with the grain.
For your suggestion I will try honing the tools before making the
final cut. I would think more relief angle would let the tool slide
in more easily and tear the grain? How does one determine the optimum
turning speed to maximize the finish? I am a novice to turning so
help would be appreciated.

If your tool is free to slide _at all_ then that is a big part of the
problem. Get a firmer grip on it and keep it stationary by anchoring the
side of your finger on the side of the tool rest.

I suggest more relief, by thinking about a scraping blade held almost square
to a surface, then think about a utility knife blade almost parallel to the
surface. The razor edge will cleanly cut, while a scraping angle will tear
as it pushes along the cut.

I guess I didn't say it out exactly, but the extra relief angle is put there
to allow a steeper cutting angle.
--
Jim in NC