Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mkoblic@gmail.com is offline

Default Astronauts to be renamed to cosmonavts

On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 08:24:56 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

news
On 2011-10-05, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I wonder what the standard of proficiency is, learning the technical
words
or also mastering the difficult grammar?

Lots of technical words in Russian are from English or German. I would
say up to 50%.

French provided aviation terms to Russian, also to English (aileron,
fuselage). I traced Forsirovanny (supercharged, boosted) back to the French
term for forcing plant growth.

Knowing French, German and Latin has helped me considerably with Russian.

I got severely bollocked at school for daring to suggest that the word
"combine" (as in combine harvester) was of English origin, not
Russian.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC