Posted to uk.d-i-y
george [dicegeorge] george [dicegeorge] is offline

Default 3 inch notch in a 4 inch beam which supports a lot of floor anda wall?

On 06/10/11 11:04, RobertL wrote:
On Oct 5, 6:37 pm, "george
wrote:
A 3 inch notch in a 4 inch beam which supports a lot of floor and a wall?

http://www.dicegeorge.com/psb/psimg/...otched167m.jpg

There is no wall underneath it.
How to strengthen it?
I was thinking of replacing the floorboard with a length of steel,
maybe an L shape with notches where the rafters are?
Screwing it down with coachbolts?
Its a flying freehold, underneath is a friendly neighbour,
with a posh ceiling.

Is there any sign of bending? lay a straight edge along it and
measure the deflection.

Is the loading going to be changed from what it is now?

Maybe it was built that way and is fine. It is quite a wide beam.

Robert

The deep notch was for plumbing installed in the 60's (i think)

I think the beam is oak, recycled when they built this house 150 years
ago from the old house they knocked down - so its very strong!

John Rumm's wedges seemthe way to go.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Wedges

[george]