Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hugo Nebula[_2_] Hugo Nebula[_2_] is offline

Default 3 inch notch in a 4 inch beam which supports a lot of floor and a wall?

[Default] On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 18:37:00 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
"george [dicegeorge]" , randomly hit the
keyboard and wrote:

A 3 inch notch in a 4 inch beam which supports a lot of floor and a wall?

http://www.dicegeorge.com/psb/psimg/...otched167m.jpg

Am I missing something? The bits of timber with the deep notch look
like noggins, albeit very chunky noggins. It appears that the joists
run counter to the wall as one can see by the direction of the boards
& the laths.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?