Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default I knew hippies, and these kids ain't hippies!

Reminds me of "New Riders of the Purple Wage" by Phillip Jose Farmer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riders_of_the_Purple_Wage

technomaNge

In his afterword to the story, Farmer mentions the Triple Revolution
memo, a document sent to United States President Lyndon Johnson in 1964,
with policy suggestions for the future of the nation in the face of
"three separate and mutually reinforcing revolutions." These were
identified as "The Cybernation Revolution," (massive automatic
production, requiring progressively less human labor), "The Weaponry
Revolution" (the development of new forms of weaponry which can
obliterate civilization), and "The Human Rights Revolution" (a universal
demand for human rights).

The source of Rex Luscus' name is described in the story as the quote,
"In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is King". The original
phrase is "In regione caecorum, rex est luscus," from Desiderius Erasmus
Roterodamus' Collecteana Adagiorum.

This is likely to also be a reference to the early SF writer H. G.
Wells' story, "The Country of the Blind" in which a sighted man finds
himself in a literal country of the blind, plots to use his advantage to
rule them, but fails because his ability is not appreciated by the
population.