Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default circuit board material of the 1960s

Michael A. Terrell wrote in message

N_Cook wrote:

Used by Fender guitar amp company and used eyelets for soldering

component
leads into. What was the material made of and how/why does it go bad? I
think of it as whale-hide but its probably something like linoleum ,
compressed linseed etc rather than paper-fibre and lacquer as under x30
veiwing there is no sign of fibrous material.

Phenolic.

So is it dyed phenolic? I only ever see brown phenolic material and more
rigid, for the thickness, than this Fender stuff. Next time I come across
some of it I'll burn a sample - unmistakable smell if phenolic.