Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default 3 inch notch in a 4 inch beam which supports a lot of floor anda wall?

On 05/10/2011 18:37, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
A 3 inch notch in a 4 inch beam which supports a lot of floor and a wall?

http://www.dicegeorge.com/psb/psimg/...otched167m.jpg

There is no wall underneath it.
How to strengthen it?
I was thinking of replacing the floorboard with a length of steel,
maybe an L shape with notches where the rafters are?
Screwing it down with coachbolts?
Its a flying freehold, underneath is a friendly neighbour,
with a posh ceiling.

I take it its been that way for some time? If so, it suggests that its
not going anywhere in a hurry. It looks rather like most of those floor
joists are pretty deeply toothed into it as well.

Assuming the bottom (i.e. tension side) of the beam is still there, then
I would be inclined to glue up a couple of folding wedges, tap em into
place, and stick the floorboard back! That will provide the missing
compression side of the beam.

Like:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Wedges

--