Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mkoblic@gmail.com is offline

Default OT Adhesive Recommendation please.

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 19:57:36 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 17:34:28 -0700, wrote:

[...]

I asked the manufacturer if it is possible to thin the Goop but they
were not encouraging. I am guessing toluene would be the stuff to use
but I have not tried it.

I'd guess the same. Maybe put an ounce of toluene in a jar, drizzle
some anyGoop over it, and close it up overnight. See what damage it
did the next morning, and if the solvent did thin it, see if it still
works as an adhesive. Let's have another one of your wonderfully
documented tests, like the Rust Chronicles.

There is only so many hours in the day :-)

[...]

I haven't had good luck with brass, either. One of my wooden planes
had a brass sole epoxied to it. After a year in my shop, which is air
conditioned and heated, it fell off. That could have been the bubinga,
an oily wood, but I think it was the expansion differential between
the metal and wood.

This is the explanation which is often advanced for the failure of
adhesives. I have not done the math to see how much movement there is
between the parts per degree of temp. I would have thought you would
have to have a fairly large part and fairly large temperature
difference for it to be a factor. But like I said I have not done the
work to support it.

I have not met anyone who can explain this, vendors, manufacturers,
other enthusiasts.

Do you leave a coarse finish on the mating parts so you get a good
tooth for the adhesive to grab onto?

I tried several finishes without much difference. On principle I tend
to make the surfaces coarse.

I would love to know what is the chemistry of Goop and how it differs
from. e.g. E6000.

I'm sure Eclectic would be happy not to tell you.

Who dat?

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC