Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Adhesive Recommendation please.

Larry Jaques sed

One of my wooden planes
had a brass sole epoxied to it. After a year in my shop, which is air
conditioned and heated, it fell off. That could have been the

bubinga,
an oily wood, but I think it was the expansion differential between
the metal and wood.

Larry, it's because it wasn't built right. Sole plates (whether on
jointers, smoothes, or end planes [or wooden golf clubs, for that
mattter]) are held on with screws, with the heads countersunk flush and
ground off perfectly smooth.

(Relatively) thick metal and wood don't get along well without mechanical
fasteners. Wood "breathes". Metal wheezes.

LLoyd