Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Slicing a big (12.5" diameter) "rod" of metal

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 14:11:33 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Spehro Pefhany fired this volley in
:

No can do. Anyway, our thickness needs might change over the years it
takes to go through the amount we have to buy each time, so slicing
off a chunk to send out for machining is what I aim to do.

Not for nothin', but it might be cheaper to send AND ship back the whole
piece to a shop that can handle it.

That's a big lump o'metal. If the shop is in a 50 mile radius of you, it
would probably be cheaper to do it that way.

LLoyd

I agree. Most of my clients use cutting shops for this sort of thing.

Sometimes..you simply have to send it out.

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)