Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default That Floodlight from Lidl

On 04/10/2011 08:42, PeterC wrote:
Just got a floodlight from Lidl. As posted in a previous thread, it's IP44
which I would have thought was just about OK for outdoor use.
On the box there's a graphic of it in rain but in the booklet it's for
indoor and covered outdoor use only.
If it were for my use I'd put it up and just do a bit of extra sealing but
as it's for a neighbour, to replace a defunct one, I don't want to take a
risk.
Would it be OK or should I return it and get a 'proper' one (IP*5/6)?

I would suggest IP44 is adequate for an outside light in most cases.
That covers being splashed (i.e. rained on) from any direction.

Protection against water jets is overkill in most cases.

Also, it has a motion sensor - how is this compared with a PIR?

It probably *is* a PIR motion sensor.

--
Cheers,

John.