Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) is offline

Default Working with Silver

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 21:07:35 -0400, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

I have a request for 20 Silver bullets in .45 caliber. I don't think I
can or should cast them directly in my Aluminum molds. So, I thought of
doing them with the lost wax method. I can cast the wax in my molds but
what to use as a mold release? I do have a graphite spray mold release
to try. I do have some casting wax left over from my Silversmith days.
Unfortunately, I do not have a centrifugal casting machine so I'll try
the wet rag method. Any better ideas? I did quote $30 each so it's
worth the trouble. I should get better than two bullets to the ounce of
silver. I do have a couple of pounds of fine and a couple pounds of
Sterling. I wonder which I should use? I don't know if it makes a
difference to Werewolves, does it?

Nobody's brought up that if you are making solid rounds you MUST
make a blended alloy of the silver to make it a lot softer, got to get
it down in the hardness neighborhood of the regular FMJ Lead bullet -
that means No Fine, Sterling or Coin Silver hard alloys.

The bullets have to be able to conform to the barrel rifling as they
make their way into the barrel, or the slug will hang in the forming
cone and you'll blow up the gun barrel (or blow up the cylinder, or
spit the bolt out the back in their face, or something else equally as
catastrophic) if somebody actually tries to fire these rounds.

And no matter how many liability releases you get signed by the
recipient, he can't control who grabs the rounds and tries to actually
run them through a live weapon - after all the shouting, it's all on
you if something goes seriously wrong...

Not to mention that if you end up with an alloy that has some lead,
tin, cadmium, etc. in it to soften up the silver (think Pewter
alloys...) that will stretch the silver, too.

A nice Hollowpoint that breaks up on impact should spread enough high
silver content fragments around the impact area to neutralize any
werewolves you might happen across.

Lost Wax investment casting is probably the only way to go - way too
much trouble to make a permanent casting mold for a one-off.

Save the sprues and trimmings, and make a few single molds to use up
the last few bits.

-- Bruce --

PS: I'm Baaaaaaack. ;-P Might regret it later, but looks like the
Asylum's still in full swing and the Inmates are still in charge...