Posted to rec.woodworking
tiredofspam tiredofspam is offline

Default Cutting down a solid-core door

On 10/1/2011 5:32 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 11:57:21 -0400, tiredofspamnospam.nospam.com
wrote:

Yep, when I cut through my aluminum siding to install a new window, I
reversed a ply blade to prevent destroying the aluminum.

It didn't hook the alum and destroy it. Rather it kept scoring and
cutting if you will.

Not a good idea with brazed carbide blades though!!!

Agreed... the ply blade was a finish ply ... steel plate. Yes you are
right the carbide might be quickly thrown off.. I own a Porter Cable
lefty saw. I mounted a blade backward one time by accident... The labels
are for righty saws... The carbide survived somehow... When I saw the
smoke from the burning I was confused, but stopped to look.
Boy what a dumbass I was.

On 9/30/2011 8:22 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
rlz wrote:

As I read the OP comment, my first thought was I wonder if the blade
was put in backwards. It would still cut but very slowly and
eventually could burn up the brushes. The teeth need to be pointed up
from the bottom at the front of the blade. When cutting with a
circular saw, the cutting action is done on the bottom of the wood,
which pulls the saw down onto the top of th wood surface.

Actually, it is very common for certain types of cuts, to install the blade
backwards. It does not burn up the brushes.