Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Upside - down saber saw?

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 07:25:06 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Ecnerwal wrote:

(...)

Look up walking beam saw -

Interesting!
http://treadleit.info/sites/default/files/mainsite/OLDfiles/Scrollsaw-MillersFall-1886A.jpg

I guess they got replaced by the band saw.

...though building a bandsaw (or modifying the
one you have to cut steel - mostly a speed issue and the correct blades)

Still looking for a 'worm transmission' after all these years.

Ive got one, variable speed too. Bout 50 lbs, NOS but dusty. Whats it
worth to you?

...might be as easy, and would cut faster (but it's harder to pierce with.)
If you don't need maximum throat depth, bandsaws get much easier, as you
can bolt two wheels to a post, rather than trying to build a rigid C
frame (much like a jumbo shrimp or military intelligence.)

Heh!

Thanks!

--Winston

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)