Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Upside - down saber saw?

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 19:13:49 -0700,
wrote:

(...)

It should be kept in contact with the uncut portion of the workpiece.
That would keep it centered.

The unconstrained tip of the blade is in the air
above the workpiece most of the time.
That is the bit that waggles laterally, causing
binding inside the kerf.

"Whole thing connected. Take a look!"

Gitfiddle wire'll fix 'er right up, overcoming that tendency.

If I were gonna do that, I'd figure out how to power a
hacksaw blade instead. Can't beat that for cheap and easy to
locate.
http://treadleit.info/sites/default/files/mainsite/OLDfiles/Scrollsaw-MillersFall-1886A.jpg
They will sell like hotcakes!

Them's electricalified nowadays and they call 'em "scrollsaws".

I want a *big* scroll saw good for cutting up scrap 4 x 6's
for firewood or slicing slots in tool steel or cutting
out patterns in Masonite or sawing MOT laminations,
with a minimum floorspace footprint.
Such a thing does not appear to be for sale.

Nearest I see is a $$$ band saw.
Donations gratefully accepted.

With 'His Stockiness' holding the saw conventionally, there
does not appear to be enough relative movement to cause
much oscillation, so very little grabbing results.

How thick was the additional table when you tried it upside down?
I don't think you addressed that.

I vaguely recall it was 3/4" ply clamped in a Workmate.

That would probably be the problem. You lost a whole lot of
reinforcement by extending the cut portion to the outer end of the
blade.

I also tried it just by clamping the base of the
inverted saber saw in the Workmate. Same binding.
Tis blade waggle, methinks.

Drill the tip of the blade, run a guitar wire through it, and support
it at the top. It should end your troubles. Use the beaded end on top
so you can drop a holey piece on it for further cutting.

It just might, with enough vertical pressure.

I doubt it would take more than a dozen pounds. Give 'er a try.

Much cheaper and faster to put a transmission on my existing
band saw. I *know* that'll work.

True. An extra set of external pulleys would be easier.
Then watch the tires disintegrate from the swarf.

Or the blade squeals itself to an early death.
I hear tell. Rumor, you know.

More highly paid men than you have tried that one, Larry!
They had to answer several Embarrassing Questions.

Oh! The Somesheimers Question, eh?

Exactly. Not all. Some.

When are visiting hours?

By now, my former boss's boss and his tame 'doctor'
should be in here somewhe http://goo.gl/qmEpM

(The lab manager skated because he was just involved
in nickel - and - dime threats, thefts, stalking,
vandalism, sabotage. Just kid stuff.)
See, my boss's boss had to contract with a guy in
Florida to do both the preliminary and final diagnoses.
That's wire fraud and attempted murder, both across
state lines, so we are talking about Federal
incarceration for my boss's boss and his tame
'doctor' (in place to do the local diagnosis).

The guy from Florida conspired in the
wire fraud and the attempted murder,
so that is a federal crime too. He should be in he
http://goo.gl/j8zOr

Please give them my regards.
I'd visit but I have to wash my hair.

The president of the company had 'plausible
deniability' so he probably skated as well.
Hold on, let me check. Yup. He's still
at Headquarters.

Hey, you asked.

I Can Over - Complicate Anything!

Talk to Bill over on the Wreck. He's one up on ya.

There are *two* of us? OMG.

Scary, isn't it?

Whoa man. You said it.

--Winston