Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mkoblic@gmail.com is offline

Default OT Adhesive Recommendation please.

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 06:19:24 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 21:31:41 -0700, wrote:

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 18:46:43 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

Did you try Goop's E6000? I love the stuff but don't recall if I've
glued metal and exposed it to the sun.

Yes, but not on stones. I found it under performed in other apps
compared with other glues. For instance for gluing brass to steel it
was consistently inferior to Houshold Goop (the only one that works
well in that app for me).

Interesting! I'm a Goop believer and have a drawer full of each of
their types. E6000 is a bit less viscous and easier to work with than
the others, and I've never had a failure with it. I'll note your info.
Brass and steel expand at way different rates, so I'm surprised
anything short of solder/brazing works there at all. Do you have to
use a thick layer of adhesive to allow that large movement? Does the
adhesive decouple them, and limit some of the differential?

Most of my use is on broken paperback book spines, shoes, plastic, and
leather. Shoe Goop works so well it outlasted the sole.

Agree that E6000 is much more pleasant to work with due to its low
viscosity. I was disappointed that it did not perform as well as the
Goop.

I asked the manufacturer if it is possible to thin the Goop but they
were not encouraging. I am guessing toluene would be the stuff to use
but I have not tried it.

By the nature of the application I am trying for as thin a layer of
Goop as I can possibly achieve which is not easy.

With all the other glues (epoxies - 4 of them, polyurethane, E6000, CA
etc.) I got initially good adhesion (I do 0.020" brass to appx 3/16"
steel) but if a corner separated the whole piece would literally pop
off. I turn the pieces to clean up the edges and sometimes the brass
would pop off on the lathe. Not so with the Goop. Even if I can get a
corner to peel off a bit I have to yank at it quite hard if I want the
brass to peel off the steel.

I have not met anyone who can explain this, vendors, manufacturers,
other enthusiasts.

I would love to know what is the chemistry of Goop and how it differs
from. e.g. E6000.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC