Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Upside - down saber saw?

Mike Spencer wrote:
writes:

I was thinking about notching say, 1/2" square tube.
Kinda doubt the presser foot would stand up to that.

Dunno. Make the bridge out of 1" hollow square, the foot out of 1-1/2"x1/4",
attach with a 3/8" bolt?

Yeahbut. We still have to be able to move the workpiece under the
foot and the foot won't address lateral blade resonance, by itself.
The blade guides in the BladeRunner look like a good
approach but I am dubious about their longevity when cutting
steel. Perhaps I am in error there. That would be a Good Thing.

(...)

Only the rosettes at the center are repouse. The main petals a 3/16"
plate, made from the discs cut from the surrounding plate. Textured
with a 1/4"-diameter fuller die on a 25# power hammer, then shaped up
with a hand hammer. The fullering spreads them so together they're
bigger than the hole they were cut out of.

Very clever. Also some very neat stuff in your Gallery:
http://home.tallships.ca/mspencer/gallery.html

I think it would be ultra kewl to make a garden gate
with one of Lemony Snicket's deliciously creepy
Evil Eyes featured near the top.

--Winston