Posted to uk.d-i-y
JakeD[_5_] JakeD[_5_] is offline

Default Rain protection for security cameras?

Peter Parry wrote in
:

On 30 Sep 2011 09:35:33 GMT, JakeD wrote:

Thanks to all for the suggestions. My cameras are already supposedly
weather-proof, but I am thinking that rain drops collecting on the front
lense could be an issue.

If the camera is already weatherproof put a lens hood on. Depending
upon the field of view of the lens a short length of 40mm or larger
pipe will suffice to keep the rain off. Experiment with lengths until
you start getting dark areas forming in the corners of the frame.
Paint the inside of the tube with blackboard paint and if splashing
rain is a real problem choose a larger tube and line it with thin foam
to stop splashing.

Thanks to all for the good suggestions....

The built in IR illumination on most cheap cameras is of little use
except at very short range.

I'm wondering about that too. The main problem at night, even with my 30-
LED camras is that the signal strength seems so low that my DVR's movement
detector keeps getting false signals, it seems. I'm wondering if buying a
standalone IR emitter to augment that of the cameras might help. Cartainly
from about 4 mtrs away, a human looks almost like a ghost with my current
setup lit only by the IR LED's. Luckily my floodlights usually get triggeed
my movement, so the IR feature isn't needed, but I dare say the day will
come when there is a power cut and some perp takes advantage.

JakeD