Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rain protection for security cameras?

I'm installing a number of security cameras on the external walls of my
house. I am interested in also installing some sort of rain protection for
same. The first thing that sprang to mind was to use inverted quarter-
sphere uplighter housings. However, buying the housing alone without the
light-holder and other gubbins is not easy, and paying out for the full
enchilada can be pricey - when you want six! Can anyone suggest anything
else?

JakeD
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JakeD writes:
I'm installing a number of security cameras on the external walls of my
house. I am interested in also installing some sort of rain protection for
same. The first thing that sprang to mind was to use inverted quarter-
sphere uplighter housings. However, buying the housing alone without the
light-holder and other gubbins is not easy, and paying out for the full
enchilada can be pricey - when you want six! Can anyone suggest anything
else?

Weather-proof cameras?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JakeD" wrote in message
I'm installing a number of security cameras on the external walls of my
house. I am interested in also installing some sort of rain protection for
same. The first thing that sprang to mind was to use inverted quarter-
sphere uplighter housings. However, buying the housing alone without the
light-holder and other gubbins is not easy, and paying out for the full
enchilada can be pricey - when you want six! Can anyone suggest anything
else?

JakeD

As others have said, purpose-designed outdoor cameras are the easiest and
most maintenance-free solution, but they can be expensive compared with
indoor cameras.

How about bird-boxes, with the camera looking through the hole?

I've been running an Axis 205 (an indoor IP camera with a 135mm lens bodged
on the front) outdoors for about 8 years, in what's basically a large
hand-made glass-fronted bird box.
Condensation on the inside of the glass can be a problem during colder
weather.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 21:17:31 +0100, "BluntChisel"
wrote:

"JakeD" wrote in message
.. .
I'm installing a number of security cameras on the external walls of my
house. I am interested in also installing some sort of rain protection for
same. The first thing that sprang to mind was to use inverted quarter-
sphere uplighter housings. However, buying the housing alone without the
light-holder and other gubbins is not easy, and paying out for the full
enchilada can be pricey - when you want six! Can anyone suggest anything
else?

JakeD

As others have said, purpose-designed outdoor cameras are the easiest and
most maintenance-free solution, but they can be expensive compared with
indoor cameras.

How about bird-boxes, with the camera looking through the hole?

Not too kind to birds who might want to use the box though...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 30, 6:11 am, JakeD wrote:
I'm installing a number of security cameras on the external walls of my
house. I am interested in also installing some sort of rain protection for
same. The first thing that sprang to mind was to use inverted quarter-
sphere uplighter housings. However, buying the housing alone without the
light-holder and other gubbins is not easy, and paying out for the full
enchilada can be pricey - when you want six! Can anyone suggest anything
else?

I use pieces of large plastic pipe. That can be glued easily. And
painted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JakeD formulated the question :
I'm installing a number of security cameras on the external walls of my
house. I am interested in also installing some sort of rain protection for
same. The first thing that sprang to mind was to use inverted quarter-
sphere uplighter housings. However, buying the housing alone without the
light-holder and other gubbins is not easy, and paying out for the full
enchilada can be pricey - when you want six! Can anyone suggest anything
else?

JakeD

Cheap as chips halogen outdoor flood light units - just take the lamp
out and point the camera through the glass fronted housing.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 14:56:04 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:
On Sep 30, 6:11 am, JakeD wrote:
I'm installing a number of security cameras on the external walls of my
house. I am interested in also installing some sort of rain protection for
same. The first thing that sprang to mind was to use inverted quarter-
sphere uplighter housings. However, buying the housing alone without the
light-holder and other gubbins is not easy, and paying out for the full
enchilada can be pricey - when you want six! Can anyone suggest anything
else?

I use pieces of large plastic pipe. That can be glued easily. And
painted.

You can get perspex / acrylic domes and mount the cameras in them. Since
they give 360 degree visibility and 90 degree top-bottom they're handy
for tilt-pan cameras, too. I've also found that they hold up niely to
the weather - but sometimes they can mist-up inside.

Not cheap, though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote in
. uk:

JakeD formulated the question :
I'm installing a number of security cameras on the external walls of
my house. I am interested in also installing some sort of rain
protection for same. The first thing that sprang to mind was to use
inverted quarter- sphere uplighter housings. However, buying the
housing alone without the light-holder and other gubbins is not easy,
and paying out for the full enchilada can be pricey - when you want
six! Can anyone suggest anything else?

JakeD

Cheap as chips halogen outdoor flood light units - just take the lamp
out and point the camera through the glass fronted housing.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. My cameras are already supposedly
weather-proof, but I am thinking that rain drops collecting on the front
lense could be an issue. I am hoping not to put any extra glass in-between
the camera and the target area, because my cameras have IR LEDS, which I
think would be reflected back at the camera by glss. The 110mm plastic pipe
idea seems worth exploring.

JakeD
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 30, 9:35 pm, JakeD wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote o.uk:

[...]

I have lots of offcuts of plastic pipe. The pipe can be cut to size
and put into boiling water and bent flat. Then a round piece cut to
fit inside the back of a short bit of pipe, and glued with the same
glue that is used for gluing pipes. You can make waterproof boxes of
any shape this way.
Agree that you don't want extra glass in front of the camera.
You don't need any extra protection if you can put the cameras under
the eaves.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JakeD" wrote in message
Harry Bloomfield wrote in
. uk:

[...]

Try cutting a plastic pop bottle to make a cover before you buy pipe.
You can keep it in place with double sided tape or even blutack.

JakeD

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Sep 2011 09:35:33 GMT, JakeD wrote:

Thanks to all for the suggestions. My cameras are already supposedly
weather-proof, but I am thinking that rain drops collecting on the front
lense could be an issue.

If the camera is already weatherproof put a lens hood on. Depending
upon the field of view of the lens a short length of 40mm or larger
pipe will suffice to keep the rain off. Experiment with lengths until
you start getting dark areas forming in the corners of the frame.
Paint the inside of the tube with blackboard paint and if splashing
rain is a real problem choose a larger tube and line it with thin foam
to stop splashing.

The built in IR illumination on most cheap cameras is of little use
except at very short range.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote in
:

On 30 Sep 2011 09:35:33 GMT, JakeD wrote:

Thanks to all for the suggestions. My cameras are already supposedly
weather-proof, but I am thinking that rain drops collecting on the front
lense could be an issue.

If the camera is already weatherproof put a lens hood on. Depending
upon the field of view of the lens a short length of 40mm or larger
pipe will suffice to keep the rain off. Experiment with lengths until
you start getting dark areas forming in the corners of the frame.
Paint the inside of the tube with blackboard paint and if splashing
rain is a real problem choose a larger tube and line it with thin foam
to stop splashing.

Thanks to all for the good suggestions....

The built in IR illumination on most cheap cameras is of little use
except at very short range.

I'm wondering about that too. The main problem at night, even with my 30-
LED camras is that the signal strength seems so low that my DVR's movement
detector keeps getting false signals, it seems. I'm wondering if buying a
standalone IR emitter to augment that of the cameras might help. Cartainly
from about 4 mtrs away, a human looks almost like a ghost with my current
setup lit only by the IR LED's. Luckily my floodlights usually get triggeed
my movement, so the IR feature isn't needed, but I dare say the day will
come when there is a power cut and some perp takes advantage.

JakeD

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , JakeD
writes
Harry Bloomfield wrote in
.uk:

[...]

One other thing to remember, spiders just love to spin their webs in
front of CCTV cameras, don't make it too easy for them.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
In message , JakeD
writes
Harry Bloomfield wrote in
. uk:

[...]

Replace some of the LEDs with motion triggered lasers?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 11:40:06 +0100, Bill
wrote:

One other thing to remember, spiders just love to spin their webs in
front of CCTV cameras, don't make it too easy for them.

It's that showbiz instinct they have.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to JakeD, deday626 wrote:
We added a battery backup to our DVR security camera system when we have poe

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...as-758172-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, September 30, 2011 at 10:35:33 AM UTC+1, JakeD wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote in
. uk:

[...]

I've had Swann wide angle cameras installed for a few months and not noticed any rain problems and we've had quite a bit. Must be similar to the amount of dirt that window panes pick up. I notice the LED's have a limited life 10,000 hrs I think, so the cams will need renewing after a couple of years anyway and won't need cleaning in the meantime.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, October 1, 2011 at 11:40:06 AM UTC+1, Bill wrote:
In message , JakeD
writes
Harry Bloomfield wrote in
.uk:

[...]

The IR LED's seem to attract the local moths here. It can look like snowstorm.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

One issue with tubes apart from the restricted viewing angle is that insects
love to use them for their egg laying etc, so they tend to get bunged up
with stuff.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"therustyone" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 09 Feb 2017 16:07:07 -0800, therustyone wrote:

On Friday, September 30, 2011 at 10:35:33 AM UTC+1, JakeD wrote:

You didn't spot this ^^^^^^^^^^ then? It's called a date, mate!

--
TOJ.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, February 10, 2017 at 12:50:46 PM UTC, The Other John wrote:
On Thu, 09 Feb 2017 16:07:07 -0800, therustyone wrote:

On Friday, September 30, 2011 at 10:35:33 AM UTC+1, JakeD wrote:

You didn't spot this ^^^^^^^^^^ then? It's called a date, mate!

--
TOJ.

---

No idea what happened there. All my various PC clocks are showing the right time!