Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home[_3_] dennis@home[_3_] is offline

Default Rain protection for security cameras?

"JakeD" wrote in message
Harry Bloomfield wrote in
. uk:

JakeD formulated the question :
I'm installing a number of security cameras on the external walls of
my house. I am interested in also installing some sort of rain
protection for same. The first thing that sprang to mind was to use
inverted quarter- sphere uplighter housings. However, buying the
housing alone without the light-holder and other gubbins is not easy,
and paying out for the full enchilada can be pricey - when you want
six! Can anyone suggest anything else?

JakeD

Cheap as chips halogen outdoor flood light units - just take the lamp
out and point the camera through the glass fronted housing.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. My cameras are already supposedly
weather-proof, but I am thinking that rain drops collecting on the front
lense could be an issue. I am hoping not to put any extra glass in-between
the camera and the target area, because my cameras have IR LEDS, which I
think would be reflected back at the camera by glss. The 110mm plastic
pipe
idea seems worth exploring.

Try cutting a plastic pop bottle to make a cover before you buy pipe.
You can keep it in place with double sided tape or even blutack.

JakeD