Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Burnishing a Scraper

Just musing,

I'm too lazy (read have forgotten how) to bother doing the math, but I
wonder how many linear feet of wood a burr scrapes per sec. when it
touches a bowl turning at any reasonable rpm. I doubt a fragile hooked
burr lasts long on a wood-turning scraper, but there's no doubt that a
burr seems to work for a period longer than expected. I wonder if the
effects of a burr that last any time at all are really due to improving
the edge and not the burr.

Anybody ever put a burr on the edge of a reversed ground bevel (on the
concave side) of a gouge (preferably an unused cheap carbon steel
spindle gouge) placed upside down with the wings resting flat on the
tool rest. Should provide a fixed angle of attack and a small point of
contact?? Much safer to do a thought experiment from my armchair and let
somebody else try it ....or not.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter