Posted to uk.d-i-y
root[_2_] root[_2_] is offline

Default Rain protection for security cameras?

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 14:56:04 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:
On Sep 30, 6:11 am, JakeD wrote:
I'm installing a number of security cameras on the external walls of my
house. I am interested in also installing some sort of rain protection for
same. The first thing that sprang to mind was to use inverted quarter-
sphere uplighter housings. However, buying the housing alone without the
light-holder and other gubbins is not easy, and paying out for the full
enchilada can be pricey - when you want six! Can anyone suggest anything
else?

I use pieces of large plastic pipe. That can be glued easily. And
painted.

You can get perspex / acrylic domes and mount the cameras in them. Since
they give 360 degree visibility and 90 degree top-bottom they're handy
for tilt-pan cameras, too. I've also found that they hold up niely to
the weather - but sometimes they can mist-up inside.

Not cheap, though.