Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Cutting down a solid-core door

On 9/29/11 2:12 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 9/28/2011 3:51 PM, Father Haskell wrote:

Set the blade to full depth. Runs cooler with less strain on the
motor. You don't gain any safety advantage by setting a portable
saw light, since your fingers are well-shielded by a 2" thick slab
of wood.

I seem to remember being taught to have the blade protrude only a
half-inch or so. It might have been shop class, or maybe my Dad, but
either way it would have been in the Seventies. I don't specifically
remember it being a safety tip.

It seems undeniable that the blade would contact less of the work if
it is used at full depth, especially with a thick piece of wood, and
thus present less of a strain to the motor. But are there any
consequences for the cut itself? It seems to me that the teeth would
cut through the top surface of the wood nearly vertically. Would that
not tend to chip it more than if the angle had been smaller?

Seems to me I would want as many teeth as possible in contact with the
cutting area to get the smoothest cut. But that's just me.
I mean, I don't mind my saw blade getting all red hot and my saw bogging
down and melting the brushes.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)