Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Drilling set screw

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 07:38:46 -0500
wrote:

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 09:02:00 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:
snip
spent three days with a mini-die grinder and a handful of pink
aluminum oxide points grinding it out to the hole threads and picked
the bits out with a dental pick. I've had the most success with left-
hand bits on wood screws. Rusted bolts usually will drill or will
break the drill bit, but don't move until they're cored out.

Stan

I hadn't thought of the die grinder solution. I may try that before
the chip-it-out exercise.

Thanks

I used a Dremel #9911 Tungsten Carbide Bit - Diameter 1/8" to bore
through a snapped off "easy-out" successfully. It was slow, hard going
and a lot of sparks flew... But it gouged it out and amazingly
(to me anyway) didn't look any worse for wear afterwards. This page
(don't know anything about the supplier, just for reference) shows some
of the bits offered by Dremel:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/dremel/tungcrbi.html

It looks like you have a better view of things too, mine was in an area
where I couldn't see down the hole for more than a 1/4 inch or so. Had
to listen and feel my way around grinding it out...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b