Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Drilling set screw

If you are using a handheld drill and not getting any chips out, your next
best bet would be to (borrow one if you don't have one) use a benchtop drill
press set up on blocks, at the correct angle so the quill downfeed would be
constant and steady.

My box-store Ryobi ~10" benchtop could be set up in place, and definitely
has enough power to drill those screws out.

Those little 5-speed $50 drill presses probably aren't any better than (or
even as good as) a decent hand drill. A friend suggested I could use his
5-speed recently while doing some fabricating at his place, and it was
essentially powerless, with a sharp 3/16" drill in mild steel.

A quality cobalt drill or masonry carbide (and a good cutting lubricant)
should cut the screws with a steady, constant feed, which is often difficult
to do with a handheld drill.

--
WB

wrote in message

That is what I've been using. Mine is a little more heavy duty; 1/2"
drive. Of course, I have to use a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer so I may be
losing some torque in the extra joint. I'm twisting the barrel in the
pre-loaded direction. The allen size is 5/32 so I can't get too heavy
handed.

I went out earlier and heated them; waited until they cooled and
smacked them again. No joy. They are now soaking in PB Blaster again.

If they are not loosened by towmorrow, I'll start drilling again.

Thanks for all the suggestions.