Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Headley Dave Headley is offline

Default Packard Bell computer driving me crazy!!!! Help!

In article , says...

En el artículo , Dave
Headley escribió:

I know this is OT for the DIYers but there's some brilliant computer
gurus in there a

There's plenty of on-topic groups with "brilliant computer gurus" out
there if you could be arsed to find them, it's only like a couple of
mouse clicks.

You're a right little ray of sunshine aren't you? Yes, plenty of
computer newsgroups but most suffer from spammers or don't get the
volume of traffic that this group does. I could have been waiting for
days to get even one reply in those other groups - plus there's some
VERY knowledgeable people here.

Right, a friend rang me to say that there had been a burning smell from
the computer (Packard Bell iMedia X2416 running Windows Vista)

If it's a Bestec PSU, it's a well known fault. The -5v line goes way
overvoltage and destroys the motherboard. Had you bothered to google,
you would have discovered this for yourself before putting the PSU in
your own computer.

Yes, I'm well aware of the problems Bestec PSUs suffer from thank you
very much, but this is not a Bestec PSU so why you're farting on about
Bestec heaven only knows.

Finally, there's no point whinging about BSODs without giving the STOP
errors that accompany them. The number following the STOP is needed for
any meaningful diagnosis.

Had you been arsed to look at the link I posted you'd have seen four or
five photos. Had you been arsed to click on each of the photos in turn
you'd have zoomed in to such a degree that the STOP errors and
associated numbers are easily readable and had you been arsed, you could
have read them yourself.

1 - this is a DIY group and I am DIYing the computer repair.

2 - If you have nothing constructive or pleasant to say, say nothing at
all. The subject line clearly stated "Packard Bell computer driving me
crazy" so you did not need to look at it if you didn't want to.