Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Cutting down a solid-core door

On 9/28/2011 10:14 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 19:37:22 -0400, wrote:

But the blade needs to be CLEAN. A pitch-encrusted blade takes more
than twice the power a clean blade takes - particularly in petrified
saw-dust. A good shot with something like "brake kleen" will disolve
the crud very quickly and you won't believe the difference in the cut.

Safer, and usually also handy, is SimpleGreen. Soak the blade in it
for 15-30 minutes, rinse (the pine tar falls off), and reinstall. Save
the soak for a dozen or more blades. It lasts when bottled. I use a
regular old pie tin for holding the solution.

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air…
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

nothing unsafe about brakleen, but it won't cut pitch like carb cleaner
will.

--
Steve Barker