Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Ionizer recommendations

Andy wrote:
On Sep 27, 11:45 am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Sep 27, 12:23 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 21:04:08 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

I am looking for some recommendations.

I would like filter out cigarette smoke for a single room. Size is
about 15 ft. X 20 ft.

My research has shown that I need a unit that has both an ionizer
and a HEPA filter.

I disagree. I've bought a few of the Alpine Air XL-15's on ebay for
$50 or so. [$150 new on ebay-- $600 from the manufacturer]

My son uses them on used cars to get rid of smoke, pet, and
god-only-knows smells. Crank it up, leave it overnight in the car&
it is springtime fresh in the AM.

We've used them in musky rooms& smokey rooms with good results.

The ozone plates are sometimes fragile. [I'll go a year without
replacing one-- then have to replace 3 in a month] So if you get
one-- order a couple extra plates on ebay, too.

Jim

Hmm,
When negative ion is produced Ozone is byproduct. Good neg. ion
generator produce almost no Ozone. Ozone is bad for you.- Hide
quoted text -

It's the ozone that deals with the odors. The extra oxygen atom is
looking for something to bond with. It bonds with the molecule or
bacteria that is producing the odor.

Ozone is an irritant. I would not run one in a closed bedroom while
someone is sleeping.

I found out that I need a negative ion generator.

An electronic air cleaner - one that charges particles, then catches them on
metal plates - would be a better bet. Ionizers effectively use walls, ceilings,
and floors as the catching surfaces, leaving them dirty and smelly. With the
electronic air cleaner, you remove the catch plates and wash them to remove the
offending crud.

http://www.google.com/search?q=porta...=f&aqi=g1&aql=

This manual has a small diagram showing how they work
http://www.google.com/search?q=porta...=f&aqi=g1&aql=