Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ionizer recommendations

I am looking for some recommendations.

I would like filter out cigarette smoke for a single room. Size is
about 15 ft. X 20 ft.

My research has shown that I need a unit that has both an ionizer and
a HEPA filter.

I would like opinions from folks that have such a unit.

Thanks so much.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:
I am looking for some recommendations.

I would like filter out cigarette smoke for a single room. Size is
about 15 ft. X 20 ft.

My research has shown that I need a unit that has both an ionizer and
a HEPA filter.

I would like opinions from folks that have such a unit.

Thanks so much.

Andy

Hi,
I never saw anything which works to 100% satisfaction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Would it be easier to put the smoker outdoors?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Andy" wrote in message
I am looking for some recommendations.

I would like filter out cigarette smoke for a single room.
Size is
about 15 ft. X 20 ft.

My research has shown that I need a unit that has both an
ionizer and
a HEPA filter.

I would like opinions from folks that have such a unit.

Thanks so much.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 21:04:08 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

I am looking for some recommendations.

I would like filter out cigarette smoke for a single room. Size is
about 15 ft. X 20 ft.

My research has shown that I need a unit that has both an ionizer and
a HEPA filter.

I disagree. I've bought a few of the Alpine Air XL-15's on ebay for
$50 or so. [$150 new on ebay-- $600 from the manufacturer]

My son uses them on used cars to get rid of smoke, pet, and
god-only-knows smells. Crank it up, leave it overnight in the car &
it is springtime fresh in the AM.

We've used them in musky rooms & smokey rooms with good results.

The ozone plates are sometimes fragile. [I'll go a year without
replacing one-- then have to replace 3 in a month] So if you get
one-- order a couple extra plates on ebay, too.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I am looking for some recommendations.

I would like filter out cigarette smoke for a single room. Size is
about 15 ft. X 20 ft.

My research has shown that I need a unit that has both an ionizer and
a HEPA filter.

I disagree. * I've bought a few of the Alpine Air XL-15's on ebay for
$50 or so. [$150 new on ebay-- $600 from the manufacturer]

My son uses them on used cars to get rid of smoke, pet, and
god-only-knows smells. * Crank it up, leave it overnight in the car &
it is springtime fresh in the AM.

We've used them in musky rooms & smokey rooms with good results.

The ozone plates are sometimes fragile. [I'll go a year without
replacing one-- then have to replace 3 in a month] * So if you get
one-- order a couple extra plates on ebay, too.

Jim

Ozone is not good for you. Best to not use them in a room where you
will sleep while it is on. But as an odor control it's great if you
generate enough of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am looking for some recommendations.

I would like filter out cigarette smoke for a single room. Size is
about 15 ft. X 20 ft.

My research has shown that I need a unit that has both an ionizer and
a HEPA filter.

I disagree. I've bought a few of the Alpine Air XL-15's on ebay for
$50 or so. [$150 new on ebay-- $600 from the manufacturer]

My son uses them on used cars to get rid of smoke, pet, and
god-only-knows smells. Crank it up, leave it overnight in the car&
it is springtime fresh in the AM.

We've used them in musky rooms& smokey rooms with good results.

The ozone plates are sometimes fragile. [I'll go a year without
replacing one-- then have to replace 3 in a month] So if you get
one-- order a couple extra plates on ebay, too.

Jim

Hmm,
When negative ion is produced Ozone is byproduct. Good neg. ion
generator produce almost no Ozone. Ozone is bad for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:

[...]

generator produce almost no Ozone. Ozone is bad for you.- Hide quoted text -

It's the ozone that deals with the odors. The extra oxygen atom is
looking for something to bond with. It bonds with the molecule or
bacteria that is producing the odor.

Ozone is an irritant. I would not run one in a closed bedroom while
someone is sleeping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:

[...]

I found out that I need a negative ion generator.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 27, 12:04*am, Andy wrote:
I am looking for some recommendations.

I would like filter out cigarette smoke for a single room. Size is
about 15 ft. X 20 ft.

My research has shown that I need a unit that has both an ionizer and
a HEPA filter.

I would like opinions from folks that have such a unit.

Thanks so much.

Andy

Dont have one now but the ones meant to run all the time while you
are in the room dont work. The ones that work arent safe to be in the
room with when they are running. The Ozone they generate is worse than
the cigarettes for your lungs. Motel supply places carry the good
ones so I would start by looking there. They can only do so much to
clean up a smoker's room. Best to start out with a clean room, this
may mean ripping out carpets sealing floors and scrubbing then
painting walls. Minimize soft materials in the room that can absorb
odors. Beds aren't too much of a problem because they can be laundered
but you may want to think about mattress and pillow covers.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:

[...]

I found out that I need a negative ion generator.- Hide quoted text -

Good luck seperating the hype from reaity.

The actual definition of a negative ion is any atom where the total
number of elctrons exceeds the number of protons. In other words a
negatively charged atom of any element is a negative ion.

Oxygen will form a molecule with just about any other element. Oxygen
normally exists as a pair of atoms. Because of that it sometimes has
to be coaxed a little into forming bonds with other atoms. Not much.
A single oxgen atom, pretty rare, an oxygen molecule missing
electrons, or a triple atom oxygen molecule, aka ozone, all will jump
at the chance to form a bond with something else. That's what makes
them good at dealing with odors and killing bacteria. They're pretty
much on the hunt for something to bond with.

None of them are particularly good for you in large quantities. But
the more of it you have the better it is at dealing with odors.
That's why most of the serious equipment for doing this is used by
placing it in the space, closing the door, and leaving it alone.

The "junk" you buy on the internet doesn't really generate a whole
lot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

An electronic air cleaner - one that charges particles, then catches them on
metal plates - would be a better bet. Ionizers effectively use walls, ceilings,
and floors as the catching surfaces, leaving them dirty and smelly. With the
electronic air cleaner, you remove the catch plates and wash them to remove the
offending crud.

http://www.google.com/search?q=porta...=f&aqi=g1&aql=

This manual has a small diagram showing how they work
http://www.google.com/search?q=porta...=f&aqi=g1&aql=

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 26, 11:04*pm, Andy wrote:
I am looking for some recommendations.

I would like filter out cigarette smoke for a single room. Size is
about 15 ft. X 20 ft.

My research has shown that I need a unit that has both an ionizer and
a HEPA filter.

I would like opinions from folks that have such a unit.

Thanks so much.

Andy

Ozone is a polutant that harms the lungs and more, before you do this
it would be smart to google titles like Ozone and asthma, danger of
Ozone generators, Ozone exposure is even rated in hours by all our
government agencies, Google Ozone exposure limits, You will find you
dont want a ozone generator, especialy since you smoke, mine made me
sick for years. Its a bad idea
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

But if you don't generate ozone you don't destroy odors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am looking for some recommendations.

I would like filter out cigarette smoke for a single room. Size is
about 15 ft. X 20 ft.

My research has shown that I need a unit that has both an ionizer and
a HEPA filter.

I disagree. I've bought a few of the Alpine Air XL-15's on ebay for
$50 or so. [$150 new on ebay-- $600 from the manufacturer]

My son uses them on used cars to get rid of smoke, pet, and
god-only-knows smells. Crank it up, leave it overnight in the car&
it is springtime fresh in the AM.

But you can't run an ozone generator at the level necessary to do that
when it is occupied unless the OP means someone trashed the room and
they are trying to remove the smoke.

We've used them in musky rooms& smokey rooms with good results.

The ozone plates are sometimes fragile. [I'll go a year without
replacing one-- then have to replace 3 in a month] So if you get
one-- order a couple extra plates on ebay, too.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

On 9/27/2011 8:42 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-

My son uses them on used cars to get rid of smoke, pet, and
god-only-knows smells. Crank it up, leave it overnight in the car&
it is springtime fresh in the AM.

But you can't run an ozone generator at the level necessary to do that
when it is occupied unless the OP means someone trashed the room and
they are trying to remove the smoke.

So you run it when no-one is in the room. An overnight run on high
will most likely rid the room of odors. If one night doesn't do it,
a couple will.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Sep 26, 11:04 pm, Andy wrote:
I am looking for some recommendations.

I would like filter out cigarette smoke for a single room. Size is
about 15 ft. X 20 ft.

My research has shown that I need a unit that has both an ionizer and
a HEPA filter.

I would like opinions from folks that have such a unit.

Thanks so much.

Andy

Ozone is a polutant that harms the lungs and more, before you do this
it would be smart to google titles like Ozone and asthma, danger of
Ozone generators, Ozone exposure is even rated in hours by all our
government agencies, Google Ozone exposure limits, You will find you
dont want a ozone generator, especialy since you smoke, mine made me
sick for years. Its a bad idea

Yes, never let sun in from the windows, produces ozone.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Andy wrote:
I am looking for some recommendations.

I would like filter out cigarette smoke for a single room. Size is
about 15 ft. X 20 ft.

My research has shown that I need a unit that has both an ionizer and
a HEPA filter.

I would like opinions from folks that have such a unit.

Thanks so much.

Andy

Hi,
I never saw anything which works to 100% satisfaction.

You don't need an ionizer but they help collect dirt on your walls.

My brother likes his air cleaner. I have played with many and made many.
This one measures the air and controls fan speed when needed.
XJ-3800 Intelli-Pro Air

Cool

I sometimes use my ozone machine by enally to clean a room or house when
vacant.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 9:15*pm, gregz wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Sep 26, 11:04 pm, Andy wrote:
I am looking for some recommendations.

I would like filter out cigarette smoke for a single room. Size is
about 15 ft. X 20 ft.

My research has shown that I need a unit that has both an ionizer and
a HEPA filter.

I would like opinions from folks that have such a unit.

Thanks so much.

Andy

Ozone is a polutant that harms the lungs and more, before you do this
it would be smart to google titles like Ozone and asthma, danger of
Ozone generators, Ozone exposure is even rated in hours by all our
government agencies, Google Ozone exposure limits, You will find you
dont want a ozone generator, especialy since you smoke, mine made me
sick for years. Its a bad idea

Yes, never let sun in from the windows, produces ozone.

Greg- Hide quoted text -

Not enough to make any difference.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 8:15*pm, gregz wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Sep 26, 11:04 pm, Andy wrote:
I am looking for some recommendations.

I would like filter out cigarette smoke for a single room. Size is
about 15 ft. X 20 ft.

My research has shown that I need a unit that has both an ionizer and
a HEPA filter.

I would like opinions from folks that have such a unit.

Thanks so much.

Andy

Ozone is a polutant that harms the lungs and more, before you do this
it would be smart to google titles like Ozone and asthma, danger of
Ozone generators, Ozone exposure is even rated in hours by all our
government agencies, Google Ozone exposure limits, You will find you
dont want a ozone generator, especialy since you smoke, mine made me
sick for years. Its a bad idea

Yes, never let sun in from the windows, produces ozone.

Greg

Ignorant answer, google about the dangers of ozone producing machines
and gov exposure limits

Recommendations for tap/die set [email protected] Woodworking 10 July 3rd 10 04:01 AM
Ionizer & matt emulsion The Medway Handyman UK diy 7 May 19th 09 03:18 PM
Air Ionizer Kit vauxall UK diy 18 January 1st 07 07:58 PM
Is my new room ionizer working properly? MB UK diy 6 November 28th 05 08:07 PM