Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy[_17_] Andy[_17_] is offline

Default Ionizer recommendations

On Sep 27, 11:45*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Sep 27, 12:23*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 21:04:08 -0700 (PDT), Andy
*wrote:

I am looking for some recommendations.

I would like filter out cigarette smoke for a single room. Size is
about 15 ft. X 20 ft.

My research has shown that I need a unit that has both an ionizer and
a HEPA filter.

I disagree. * I've bought a few of the Alpine Air XL-15's on ebay for
$50 or so. [$150 new on ebay-- $600 from the manufacturer]

My son uses them on used cars to get rid of smoke, pet, and
god-only-knows smells. * Crank it up, leave it overnight in the car&
it is springtime fresh in the AM.

We've used them in musky rooms& *smokey rooms with good results.

The ozone plates are sometimes fragile. [I'll go a year without
replacing one-- then have to replace 3 in a month] * So if you get
one-- order a couple extra plates on ebay, too.

Jim

Hmm,
When negative ion is produced Ozone is byproduct. Good neg. ion
generator produce almost no Ozone. Ozone is bad for you.- Hide quoted text -

It's the ozone that deals with the odors. *The extra oxygen atom is
looking for something to bond with. *It bonds with the molecule or
bacteria that is producing the odor.

Ozone is an irritant. *I would not run one in a closed bedroom while
someone is sleeping.

I found out that I need a negative ion generator.