Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Recommendations for a spring-loader center punch

"aemeijers" wrote in message
On 9/26/2011 1:40 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Robert Green posted for all of us...

I was surprised to find my local HoPo didn't have any spring-loaded

center
punches. Anyone have one/used one they could recommend? Primary use

is to
punch out car window if trapped in a flood. Since the 100 year floods
appearing to be coming every 2 years now, I figure it's time to put one

in
the glovebox. Not sure what happens to fancy power doors and locks

when
they're shorted. I know when floods reach certain levels, car horns

start
to sound, which I assume means the harness/electronics failing or that

cars
really do have souls and "scream" when they drown. Either way, I think

it's
prudent to carry one to pop a window if it ever comes to that.

I pay $100's for insurance that won't actually be able to do anything

very
helpful during an underwater situation so I figured I could spend $10

or $20
on something that might prove useful in what I hope is an extremely

rare
situation. (And that I could use in the shop, too!) I've only seen it
flood that seriously here before once in . . . well, once in my life,
really. With the bridges of the country in disrepair, who knows what

will
happeno?

I've seen EMT's use a combo device that slits belts and punches

windows, but
belts are manually operated and wouldn't lock up in a flood situation

so
that's probably overkill. I am sure a new dollar mart rectangular

letter
opened with a guide slot would work wwww

Any other suggestions?

Are you in the Emergency Services? If not STAY AWAY! An alternative is

to make
me the sole beneficiary of your insurance.

NOAA slogan: Don't drown, turn around.

You will ONLY involve MORE EMS personnel in saving your sorry butt.

He wasn't talking about playing rescue man, he was talking about saving
his own ass if he happens to end up parked in a canal unexpectedly.

Thanks for explaining that. I had no idea WTF Tekkie was so fired up about
so I just let it slide. It sounds like even if I were to come upon someone
trapped in their car, I'd better wait until EMS gets there, even if the
passengers would have drowned/burned by then. Sheesh.

--
Bobby G.