Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default chainsaw reccomendation or advice ?

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 10:07:38 -0400, "robb" wrote:

I have done the google searches. Now the internet is filled with 50/50
conflicting advice and reviews.

Does anyone her have experience with the big retailer brand gas
powered chainsaws ?

I am looking for probably 18"- 20" gas powered chainsaw to clear and
thin out some under brush, saplings, scrub oaks, limbs and
occasional downed trees from my parents wooded property ( there is
about 2 acres of overgrown wooded area they want cleaned up ) .

So, i was looking at the big box DIY stores and i see Homelight,
Poulan, ECHO, Stihl, Blue Max, Ryobi, Poulan Pro, Husqvarna with
prices from 149 - 499.

I would like to stick to lower end prices.

Is there a best of the cheap ?

thanks for helpful replies,
robb

When my 30 year old Poulan bit the dust I bought a small Echo like
Home Depot sells. It's about a 14" bar length. The thing I don't like
about it is that it uses a much narrower chain then the poulan did
which has made it very easy for the chain to come off at the slightest
twisting of the bar while cutting if there is even the least amount of
looseness in the chain. Never had the problem with the Poulan. So if
I was in the market again I'd pay attention to the chain width. Othr
then that the Echo seems fine for my occasional use.