Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Recommendations for a spring-loader center punch

"micky" wrote in message
stuff snipped
A keyboard is designed to deal with being face up to dirty fingers.

Other

BTW IIRC the keyboard was supposed to be top down in the dish washer.

electronics don't seem to swim as well. I have a dead Nikon somewhere

that
didn't take to swim. A Black and Decker trickle charger blew out in the
rain (I didn't see that it had tiny ventilation hole cleverly offset to

be
almost invisible). Stuff drowns. It's a fact of life. Some stuff

drowns
better than others.

One keyboard was like any oher to me, and replacement new ones were 2
dollars at hamfests, until I got used to using 8 of the special keys
on the "multimedia" keyboard.

I know the feeling, I collect keyboards with enlarged "L" shaped Enter keys
and elongated backspace keys. Once you get used to certain features,
especially in things like keyboards, it's hard to use something different.

I bought Keytronics Lifetime (dirty fu&ing liars!) keyboards because they
had a good feel and good longevity and those two keys in the right places.
They didn't survive (more accurately had more keys go bad) after a distilled
water cleanout. That treatment was tried after paying to ship them back for
repair only to be told "biological matter in keyboard - warranty voided."
Show me one keyboard on earth that doesn't have skin cells and human hair
lodged it in. Or worse.

It's all in the design. Keyboards are also simple circuits. The more low
voltage IC's on a running circuit board, the more damage I think immersion
can do. Keyboards are being washed when off. They might not fare so well
with current running through them when they contact water and don't from
what I recall of drowned keyboards at our company. And that was back when
Compaq had the balls to charge over $100 per replacement keyboard. For
that sin, they were consumed by the hideous monster, HP, who is now puking
up their half-digested corpse.

And who says there's no justice in the world?

--
Bobby G.