Posted to rec.woodworking
kansascats kansascats is offline

Default simple, cheap lumber rack

Jack & Puck

I admire your thinking. Jack, I think maybe your cart has a larger
base than mine. Mine is 24" x 96", so if I retro it to have the A-
frame in the middle, I'll probably only see 6" on a side, so that's
only an 8 sheet capacity. I really did not want to go bigger than
24", thus the cart I chose, but I can really see your point about cut-
offs, etc. My shop space is about 24' square with 2 single 9' doors
on one end. I have my TS, jointer, BS, and DC off in the NE
quadrant. With those dust producing tools concentrated in that area,
my 1.5HP DC using 6" pipe does a fine job of chips and very light dust
collection (thanks to Bill Pentz!). If I need to cut larger panels, I
can open the garage door which is on the outfeed side of the TS. A
real drag on those 90% humidity days or when it's -20F. Ah well.

Jack what is the width of the base of your cart's A-frame? What's the
width of the top of the A-frame? About what angle do you suppose it
is? 10 deg. off or vertical?

I'm pretty set on the 1/2" pipe. That's minimal wasted space, and 12"
of pipe could probably hold 200# or better. An attempted chin-up will
be the proof.