Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Recommendations for a spring-loader center punch

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 13:31:29 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 08:46:38 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I think I first saw that in a James Bond film 50 years ago. (-: It

sounds
like the Mythbusters might have tackled something like that already. I

sure
as hell ain't doing the research!

That's the trouble. I can never get a volunteer. And I myself am
very busy this week.

When I need to kill someone bathing and a heater's handy, I'll get back to
you. (-:

Damnit, SOMEONE must have weighed in on this befo

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode19

One can be killed by dropping an electrical appliance into a bath full of
water.
confirmed

The current in most electrical appliances is well above the levels the
human body can withstand. The electrocution effect is increased if the
appliance drops farther from the drain or if the water has more salt in it
(such as due to urine or epsom salts). They also proved that devices (and
probably by extension, sockets) with GFCIs are effective at preventing these
electrocutions, as a GFCI-equipped hairdryer cut off on contact with the
water.

I suppose all the hubbub about GFCI's is a tacit admission that it's easier
to get electrocuted in the bathroom than most other rooms in the house.
Especially if James Bond is prowling around.

And Tony, you've heard of washing computer keyboards in the
dishwasher?

No soap, NO HEAT on the DRYing part of the cycle.

They say it works well.

A keyboard is designed to deal with being face up to dirty fingers. Other

BTW IIRC the keyboard was supposed to be top down in the dish washer.

electronics don't seem to swim as well. I have a dead Nikon somewhere that
didn't take to swim. A Black and Decker trickle charger blew out in the
rain (I didn't see that it had tiny ventilation hole cleverly offset to be
almost invisible). Stuff drowns. It's a fact of life. Some stuff drowns
better than others.

One keyboard was like any oher to me, and replacement new ones were 2
dollars at hamfests, until I got used to using 8 of the special keys
on the "multimedia" keyboard.