Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Adhesive Recommendation please.

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 17:18:18 -0700, wrote:

In the early stages of my new career I experimented a lot with gluing
stones together and to metal. This is what I found:

1) Epoxy worked just fine (West system, JB Weld) until you exposed the
structure to sun. Then the whole thing got heated and the epoxy bond
weakened considerably.

2) The one adhesive I found satisfactory was this one:

http://www.lepageproducts.com/Produc...l.aspx?pid=84#

Not sure if you can get it where you are. They do make an "advanced"
formula now.

Did you try Goop's E6000? I love the stuff but don't recall if I've
glued metal and exposed it to the sun.

The only thing I found to be a bit of a pain about it was the high
viscosity. Spreading it on the surfaces was a bit difficult.

Most adhesives respond to heat, relaxing their viscosity in warmer
temperatures.

Next time, try soaking a cartridge (protected by a plastic bag) in a
pan of 45C water for half an hour. It should help that aspect quite a
bit.

Caulk responds very nicely to that, and it finishes much better and
smoother when warm.

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen