Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mkoblic@gmail.com is offline

Default OT Adhesive Recommendation please.

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 20:35:29 -0400, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

SWMBO and I were visiting family graves at a nearby cemetary today (It's
a Jewish tradition to pay such visits the week before the Jewish new
year begins.)

The oval ceramic tile with her grandmother's photo on it had fallen out
of its recess in her granite tombstone and fortunately I found it in the
grass alongside the stone.

Whatever had been holding it in place for about 60 years finally gave up
and let go. The remains of it in the recess are frangible and feel like
some sort of "plaster".

The back surface of the oval ceramic tile is unglazed and the surface it
will be attached to is smooth granite.

The "This to That" website isn't very helpfull, they don't mention
"stone" and their references to ceramic refer to broken dishes and the like.

http://www.thistothat.com/

I'm thinking some type of epoxy would probably work best, but I'm open
to suggestions.

Thanks guys,

In the early stages of my new career I experimented a lot with gluing
stones together and to metal. This is what I found:

1) Epoxy worked just fine (West system, JB Weld) until you exposed the
structure to sun. Then the whole thing got heated and the epoxy bond
weakened considerably.

2) The one adhesive I found satisfactory was this one:

http://www.lepageproducts.com/Produc...l.aspx?pid=84#

Not sure if you can get it where you are. They do make an "advanced"
formula now.

The only thing I found to be a bit of a pain about it was the high
viscosity. Spreading it on the surfaces was a bit difficult.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC