Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default chainsaw reccomendation or advice ?

willshak wrote:
on 9/24/2011 8:05 AM (ET) HeyBub wrote the following:

If the plot was one foot wide and 90,000 feet long, he may need an
extension
cord some seventeen MILES in length, but that's hardly likely.

Still, to be prepared...

There's also the DC to AC power inverters that can be hooked up to the
car to run the electric chainsaw. You just have to drive the car close
to the work site.

It would take a pretty big inverter. 400W to 600W is a nice size
inverter to keep in your truck for powering lights and stuff like that,
but it wouldn't pull even a tiny saw.

Those little Remington electric chainsaws you can buy for less than $100
will get the job done, but boy do they suck to use (I have one.) Very
uncomfortable to hold, and they don't have an oil pump. The oil is
gravity-fed. All the time. Including when the saw is in storage. I
have some professional non-safety chains for another saw that just
happen to fit the Remington; I should put one on and see if that makes
it less of a pain to use.

Stihl makes several electric saws (MSE-180, MSE-220, etc) as do other
pro saw makers. That might be a good option. One good thing about an
electric is you can use it indoors.

-Bob