Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default OT Adhesive Recommendation please.

On 2011-09-25, wrote:

wrote in message
SWMBO and I were visiting family graves at a nearby cemetary today (It's a
Jewish tradition to pay such visits the week before the Jewish new year
begins.)

The oval ceramic tile with her grandmother's photo on it had fallen out of
its recess in her granite tombstone and fortunately I found it in the
grass alongside the stone.

Whatever had been holding it in place for about 60 years finally gave up
and let go. The remains of it in the recess are frangible and feel like
some sort of "plaster".

The back surface of the oval ceramic tile is unglazed and the surface it
will be attached to is smooth granite.

The "This to That" website isn't very helpfull, they don't mention "stone"
and their references to ceramic refer to broken dishes and the like.

http://www.thistothat.com/

I'm thinking some type of epoxy would probably work best, but I'm open to
suggestions.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

Maybe consider SIKA-291. It slightly flexible when cured and seems to stick
very very well to just about anything, its also water proof. The down side
is once its stuck on there is little chance of getting it off. Comes in
black& white.

http://www.sika.com.au/cmi/pdfs/TDS_Sikaflex291.pdf

Seems about similar to 3M 4200.

Short term, yes, but in the long term Sikaflex is the stuff.
It never hardens - remains flexible forever.
Only down side is the price!