Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drilling set screw

I'm just clutching straws. But.... heat on the setscrew, and
then use left handed drill bit from HF.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
Here is what I'm working on.

http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_2610.jpg

1964 garden tractor. The wheel hub must come off before the
brake
linkage can be removed before the transmission can be
removed, etc.

The hub is cast about 3/8 thick. The brake drum is bolted to
the back
of it so there is no place to hook a puller or anything like
a bearing
separater. The lug bolt holes are the only pulling points
(5 on
4.5"). Problem is the 5/16 set screw.

I've tried drilling them out with what I thought were pretty
good
bits. I'm barely knocking the rust off. They are hard. I've
used an
allen impact driver to no avail. (good part is they don't
strip out)
There is enough meat to redrill and tap to larger size.

I can apply limited heat but don't want to be looking for
nonexistant
axle seals.

Once the set screw problem is solved, I can (reluctantly)
drill and
tap pulling holes closer to the 1" axle.

This photo looks dry but it has been flooded with JB Blaster
for two
months. An additional consideration is this is one of only
two
surviving. Suggestions?