Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Recommendations for a spring-loader center punch

"Robert Green" wrote in
:

I was surprised to find my local HoPo didn't have any spring-loaded
center punches. Anyone have one/used one they could recommend?
Primary use is to punch out car window if trapped in a flood. Since
the 100 year floods appearing to be coming every 2 years now, I figure
it's time to put one in the glovebox. Not sure what happens to fancy
power doors and locks when they're shorted. I know when floods reach
certain levels, car horns start to sound, which I assume means the
harness/electronics failing or that cars really do have souls and
"scream" when they drown. Either way, I think it's prudent to carry
one to pop a window if it ever comes to that.

I pay $100's for insurance that won't actually be able to do anything
very helpful during an underwater situation so I figured I could spend
$10 or $20 on something that might prove useful in what I hope is an
extremely rare situation. (And that I could use in the shop, too!)
I've only seen it flood that seriously here before once in . . . well,
once in my life, really. With the bridges of the country in
disrepair, who knows what will happeno?

I've seen EMT's use a combo device that slits belts and punches
windows, but belts are manually operated and wouldn't lock up in a
flood situation so that's probably overkill. I am sure a new dollar
mart rectangular letter opened with a guide slot would work wwww

Any other suggestions?

Experience with the Possum Van tells me a ladder works well on the
windshield.

--
Bobby G.