Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour[_2_] RicodJour[_2_] is offline

Default Recommendations for a spring-loader center punch

On Sep 24, 11:24*am, "Robert Green"
wrote:

I was surprised to find my local HoPo didn't have any spring-loaded center
punches. *Anyone have one/used one they could recommend? *Primary use is to
punch out car window if trapped in a flood. *Since the 100 year floods
appearing to be coming every 2 years now, I figure it's time to put one in
the glovebox. *Not sure what happens to fancy power doors and locks when
they're shorted. *I know when floods reach certain levels, car horns start
to sound, which I assume means the harness/electronics failing or that cars
really do have souls and "scream" when they drown. *Either way, I think it's
prudent to carry one to pop a window if it ever comes to that.

Why spring-loaded?

I pay $100's for insurance that won't actually be able to do anything very
helpful during an underwater situation so I figured I could spend $10 or $20
on something that might prove useful in what I hope is an extremely rare
situation. *(And that I could use in the shop, too!) *I've only seen it
flood that seriously here before once in . . . well, once in my life,
really. *With the bridges of the country in disrepair, who knows what will
happen?

I've seen EMT's use a combo device that slits belts and punches windows, but
belts are manually operated and wouldn't lock up in a flood situation so
that's probably overkill. I am sure a new dollar mart rectangular letter
opened with a guide slot would work wwww

It's not a question of whether the belt "locks up" as much as whether
you can get to the release and operate it. Then again it's also a
question of whether in that situation you could get to the emergency
tool.

Any other suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/Mayday-Window-.../dp/B001B5NEHE

There are also versions with a flashlight and such.