Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default chainsaw reccomendation or advice ?

robb wrote:
I have done the google searches. Now the internet is filled with 50/50
conflicting advice and reviews.

Does anyone her have experience with the big retailer brand gas
powered chainsaws ?

I am looking for probably 18"- 20" gas powered chainsaw to clear and
thin out some under brush, saplings, scrub oaks, limbs and
occasional downed trees from my parents wooded property ( there is
about 2 acres of overgrown wooded area they want cleaned up ) .

So, i was looking at the big box DIY stores and i see Homelight,
Poulan, ECHO, Stihl, Blue Max, Ryobi, Poulan Pro, Husqvarna with
prices from 149 - 499.

Avoid Poulan, Homelight. Probably Ryobi too. You didn't ask but avoid
Sears too.

Maybe, Poulan Pro & Blue Max,not familiar with either.

Consider Stihl, Echo & Husqvarna
________________

I would like to stick to lower end prices.

Is there a best of the cheap ?

Yes. Go look at Stihl...
http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/?g...FYEj7AodJ2qwcA

and try out the product selector link.

Stihl makes saws for varied uses but regardless of the use type, their saws
are superior.

Regarding bar length, you probably don't need 18" - 20" for what you want to
do. A 14" bar can cut a very sizeable log - up to almost 28" - and a
shorter bar means a lighter and easier to use saw.

In 2004 we had a bunch of hurricanes and wound up with 100s of tons of
trashed oak debris. I bought a 14" Stihl and there was very little I could
not cut; for the too large stuff I bought a longer bar & chain but rarely
use them.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...