Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default simple, cheap lumber rack

On 9/22/11 12:31 AM, Jack wrote:
The plan I showed him is TWO tubafors face glued with a 3" deep hole
drilled for each pipe.
(http://jbstein.com/Flick/PipeWoodRack.jpg) The
pipe will not pull out, and while mine is attached to a concrete block
wall, I would think attaching them to studs would work fine.

That is plenty strong. I made shelves with a similar design and the hold
a lot more weight than you'd think. The weak link is the dowels... use
oak and you're fine.
I drilled the holes at a slight upward angle so the increased weight
would cause a spring-flat scenario (like crowning up joists).

I added set screws in the sides of the 2x4's at the holes, because I'm
anal.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)