Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Ladder Modification?

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 13:20:55 -0700
Winston wrote:

snip
OTOH, Constrained against Bubba's mass x coefficient of
friction at the bottom and the Joist near the bottom
of the top section, my Mass is only distributed among:

1) About 2 sq. inches of 0.063" thick aluminum at the
bottom of the top section bearing against about
2 sq. inches of 0.063" thick aluminum near the
top of the bottom section.

2) The latches at the top of the bottom section

After I sent my "idea" it occurred to me you might have a wood
extension ladder which wouldn't work very well for what I had in mind.
I was thinking of the type 1A or 1 fiberglass or aluminum models that
use an interlocking track the full length. Like this:

http://www.wernerladder.com/catalog/...?series_id=139

You still should be able to make this work though, unless you can
borrow a better suited model from a neighbor, relative...

Do what I said before (lash to joist and vehicle at bottom) then extend
the top fly section to desired position. Then take some rope and tie
the two sections together at the bottom of the top section. Keep tying
until you feel comfortable that the two sections aren't going
anywhere...

I'm pretty fit yet for a late middle age old fart, so doing things
like that doesn't bother me a great deal. Of course I know people who
wouldn't dream of trying anything like that, even when they were young
and supple ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b