Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Ladder Modification?

Leon Fisk wrote:
On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 23:07:19 -0700
wrote:

snip
I could lean the (nearly) retracted ladder against
a ceiling joist,

In case you haven't solved this yet...

You might be able to lean the extension ladder against the ceiling
joist and then lash that part of the ladder to the joist. Now pull one
of your vehicles up to the bottom of the ladder, just butting the
bumper up against it. That should keep the bottom from sliding out.
Possibly lash the ladder to the bumper too, keep it from moving
side-to-side. Pocket the keys to vehicle.

I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

If you can't line up a vehicle to hold the bottom... Bolt the bottom to
one of the pallets you recently procured and then load the pallet down,
paving bricks ;-) , sand bags, heavy friend Bubba...

I would need a Bubba that was significantly more
massive than yours truly. (The mind boggles.)

Slide the top portion up into position and have at it. The top should be
okay without any support albeit a bit unnerving for those afraid of
heights.

After looking at the ladder, I'm not left with the 'warm fuzzies'.

Here's why:
When my extension ladder is used 'conventionally', constrained
at the ends by Earth at the bottom and House at the top, the
force of my Mass near the top is (at worst case) distributed
among:

1) The latches at the top of the bottom section

2) The bottom of the top rails bearing against a few rungs
of the bottom section

OTOH, Constrained against Bubba's mass x coefficient of
friction at the bottom and the Joist near the bottom
of the top section, my Mass is only distributed among:

1) About 2 sq. inches of 0.063" thick aluminum at the
bottom of the top section bearing against about
2 sq. inches of 0.063" thick aluminum near the
top of the bottom section.

2) The latches at the top of the bottom section

My admittedly creative 'minds eye' sees the ladder
"unzipping" from the bottom of the top section as
I do a face plant on the far side of the joist.
Me no like!

I'd come help you with it (sounds better than
repairing, painting our garage) but it would be
one heck of a drive.

That would border on the 'impractical', I agree.
Esp. since it would mean I'd have to drive back
to help with repairing and painting your garage!

--Winston